Fresh Take on a Mid-Century Bedroom
Hi Friends! We’re picking back up after a little hiatus with our first ever bedroom inspiration. This week our bedroom inspiration comes from West Elm US. We came across this bedroom and thought it looked like that kind of bedroom in which you could definitely Netflix and chill (literally speaking).
As West Elm is only a recent addition to the UK’s home decor scene, we don’t have many of the products that the US carries, therefore in order to replicate this beautiful room, we have had to look at other high street and online merchants to fill in the gaps!
We hope you find this post useful in creating your dream bedroom.
As always, click on any number or hyperlink to purchase your favourite items.
It only seems apt to start a bedroom post with the bed. One of the most interesting pieces in this inspiration bedroom is the midcentury bed, and luckily enough West Elm UK also carries this bed. However, if you’re not as convinced by this exact piece as we are (or if you want to spend a little less on achieving this look), we’ve also found some beautiful reasonably-priced alternatives, as well as a premium (not so wallet-friendly) bed frame (number three)!
- West Elm Mid-Century Bed – Acorn, King, £809
- Wayfair.co.uk Brick & Barrow Wichita Bed, King, £489.99
- Adventures in Furniture Ethnicraft Walnut Air bed, 160x200cm, £2,347
- Mattress Online Silentnight Hamilton Solid Oak Bed Frame, King, £434.95
- Wayfair.co.uk Marlow Home Co. Adeline Panel Bed Frame, King, £479.99
- Made.com Fonteyn Kingsize Bed, Walnut, £799
As your bed would be lonely without bedside tables, we’ve put together a collection of some really delicate and feminine ones above! When choosing alternative bedside tables we thought it best to stick to gold with glass or marble, as we thought they would complete this room beautifully. To best replicate the look, the actual inspiration bedside table from the West Elm post is numbered one above.
- West Elm Terrace Side Table, Antique Brass, £239.99
- John Lewis West Elm Terrace Bedside Table, Antique Brass, £254 (Plus extra £45 discount)
- Made.com Aula Side Table, Brushed Brass, £169
- Swoon Editions Seymour Side Table Set, Brass & Glass, £199
- Maisons du Monde Angele Gold Metal and Glass End Table, £137
- Maisons du Monde Octave Gold Metal End Table with Mirror Top, £68.99
- Maisons du Monde Bonnie End Table with 2 White Marble Tops, £171.50
As you may know, we’re all about the statement ceiling lights, and it seems that West Elm is too! In a time when bobbles and geometric lights are all the rage, we’re happy to provide you with seven of our favourite ceiling lights that we think would look great in this inspiration bedroom. Let us know which is your favourite!
- West Elm Mobile Chandelier – Grand, Antique Brass, £319 *Shipping 31/8/18
- Dwell.co.uk Sticks Pendant, Light Brass, 18 Bulbs, £299
- Dwell.co.uk Cluster Pendant, Light Brass, 15 Bulbs, £349
- Made.com Faye Large Chandelier Pendant Light, Brass, £199
- Dwell.co.uk Dash Pendant, Light Brass, £199
- Wayfair.co.uk Endon Lighting Channing 5-Light Cluster Pendant, £46.99
- Maisons Du Monde, Malone 4-Branch White Glass and Gold Metal Chandelier, D48cm, £154.50
Sometimes rugs are discrete backdrops, but this rug is definitely a statement piece! With a rug like this we imagine you could only feel as if your bed were perched on a cloud. We’ve put together our favourite reasonably-priced shaggy white rugs above. As you may notice, we really like Modern Rugs because they have such a great variety of quality rugs – let us know what you think!
- Modern Rugs Blizzard Ivory Rug, 160x230cm, £189
- Modern Rugs Extravagance Ivory Rug, 160x230cm, £179
- Modern Rugs Plush Ivory White Rug, 160x230cm, £469
- Modern Rugs, Ligne Pure – Adore White Rug, 170x240cm, £967.20
- John Lewis Plush Shaggy Rug, White, 170x120cm, £300
- Modern Rugs Cascade Powder White Shaggy Rug, 160x230cm, £179
We love all cushions, but this week we’re especially in love with monochrome ones! With such a wide variety from which to choose on the high street, we could easily fill this bed with cushions. Undoubtedly though, that would probably lead to many break-ups and divorces, so we advise you to only buy your absolute favourite ones!
- Habitat Black And White Ikat Woven Cushion, 60x60cm, £32
- Orla Kiely Linear Stem Cushion in Slate, 45x45cm, £34.99
- John Lewis House by John Lewis Terrazzo Cushion, Grey, 45x45cm, £15
- John Lewis Scion Pajaro Cushion, Grey, 45x45cm, £45
- Graham and Green Kadee Monochrome Cushion, 35x50cm, £49
- Cox & Cox Dash Piped Cushion, 45x45cm, £45
- La Redoute Winterfolk Printed Cushion Cover, 40x40cm, £15.20
- John Lewis PATTERNITY + John Lewis Ritual-Repeat Outline Cushion, Black and White, 45x45cm, £50
- Graham and Green Three Stripe Avignon Cushion With Corner Tassels, 40x60cm, £39
- La Redoute Parfeto Cushion Covers, 45x45cm, £20
- La Redoute AM.PM. Mihnéa Embroidered Cotton Cushion Cover, 45x45cm, £40
- Cox & Cox Velvet & Linen Cushions – Dove Grey// 30x40cm – £20// 45x45cm – £30
We must say that the hardest item to source for this inspiration bedroom was the lamp! Two-light table lamps have not yet made it across the Atlantic as a trend, so while we wait for that trend to catch in the UK, we hope you’re okay with these single-light bedside table lamps we’ve found. Our favourite ones are number one and three! Which do you prefer?
- Maisons du Monde Golden Oasis SO CHIC Gold Metal Lamp with White Shade, £35.99
- Wayfair.co.uk The Lighting & Interiors Group Bianco 48cm Table Lamp, £45.99
- Barker and Stonehouse Marble Foot Desk Lamp, £41
- Wayfair.co.uk Endon Lighting Langden 53cm Table Lamp, £19.99
- West Elm Arc Mid-Century Table Lamp – Small, Antique Bronze, £55.20
- Made.com Rita Table Lamp, Brass and Marble, £79
- Zara Home Golden Lamp with Clear Base, £79.99
One of the items from this inspiration bedroom that makes this room feel so liveable is the duvet, and we kind of love it for that reason. We also love that grey duvets are easy to find and so while we aren’t partial to any particular grey duvet, we’ve gathered some nice-looking ones above. The actual grey duvet from the inspiration bedroom is numbered one above.
- West Elm Belgian Flax Linen Melange Duvet Cover + Pillowcases, Slate, King, £111.20
- H&M Cotton Duvet Cover Set, Grey, Double, £34.99
- Debenhams Home Collection Basics , Grey Washed Cotton Plain Dye Bedding Set, King, £60
- Wayfair.co.uk Selene et Gaia Lin Washed Linen Duvet Cover, Pearl Grey, King, £151.99
- John Lewis Calvin Klein Modern Cotton Body Cotton Blend Bedding, Grey, King, £129
- Tesco Polycotton Percale Duvet Cover Set Grey, King, £24.18
While we’re very aware that art is totally subjective, we think we’ve come up with a good collection of alternative monochrome brush-stroke pieces to finish off our inspiration bedroom. If you’re not in love with any of these pieces, you can always buy black paint and a white canvas and let your creative juices flow (please send us photos if you actually do this though!).
- Etsy.co.uk White Orchid Prints Black White Abstract Wall art Paint Splatter Brushstrokes, Instant Download, 16x20inches, £6.08
- Art.co.uk Rikki Drotar Divine IV, Giclee Print, 61x61cm, £35.74
- Etsy.co.uk Inner Wild Prints Abstract Print, Abstract Art Print, Modern Minimalist, Black & White Wall Art, 50x70cm, £46
- Etsy.co.uk Paul Maguire Art Giclee Print, Black and White Abstract, Limited to 200 printings, Unframed, 16x20inches, £38
- Art.co.uk Sydney Edmunds Expressive Silence I, Giclee Print, 61x81cm, £37.69
- Art.co.uk Susan Gillette Big Swirl 2, Giclee Print, 46x46cm, £36.39
We hope you found this post helpful and pleasing to view! Let us know if you have any home design inspiration you’d like for us to make a reality!
Until next time! x